Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My New Love

I have always loved books, I love the smell of them, the feel of them (except when I have just washed my hands...something about the texture of the paper on my soft fingers...ehhh I'm getting chills thinking about it).  Ahem.  What was I saying?  Oh yes, I love books.  Pre-mommy me was always reading a book, or a magazine, or even a cereal box, anything that had words I would read.  Post-baby me doesn't have so much time for leisurely reading, but I still have a deep love for words (probably why I became an English teacher).   Along with books, libraries have always held a special place in my heart, I probably look like a lunatic in the library because I LOVE the smell and I'm constantly sniffing while I'm in there. 
The more I write the crazier I sound.  
Anyway, I love that anyone can walk into a library and have access to thousands of books, movies, magazines, etc.  I love that Caden can go in there and pick up any book he chooses off the shelf, although, I'm sure the librarian isn't crazy about that.  All this is leading me to the fact that I am cheating on my beloved books and libraries with one of those fancy schmancy E-readers.  The Kindle. 
I remember when they first came out I always swore that I would never have one because I loved books so much.  I got one for Christmas and I had no idea what I was missing!  Downloading books instantly, reading one-handed while nursing without trying to figure out how to turn the page, no having to touch paper after my hands have been wet...the list could go on. :)  Needless, to say I LOVE this thing!  I have already read two books since Christmas, which is a lot considering I don't have a whole lot of time. 

I read "Firefly Lane" by Kristin Hannah and "The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes" by Diane Chamberlain.  They were both awesome and I highly recommend them!

I can't wait to download some more and if you are a Kindle owner I found a cool website where you can actually borrow and lend books, free of charge! It's called the Kindle Lending Club.  I just requested "Water for Elephants" and I can't wait to read it before the movie comes out! 

While I love my Kindle with all my heart it doesn't mean I won't ever pick up a book again and it certainly doesn't mean I will be giving up my library sniffing habit anytime soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment