Friday, February 11, 2011

Old School

I recently read an article about things that babies born in 2011 will never know.  It made me so sad, and made me feel so old!  These things to me are like 8-tracks to my parents:  they have been a part of my life and will never be a part of my children's lives.  Some things they mentioned that our recently born children will never know about:

VHS tapes and VCR's were the first thing on the list.  Obviously I know these things are obselete and DVD's are so much easier, but I still have a huge box of VHS tapes that I'm so sad I will never get to watch again.  When we were in college, a long 6-10 years ago...which by the way sounds insane to me...Jason bought me tons of VHS of all my favorite movies like "Dirty Dancing", "Shag", "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken", and "Center Stage".  I had a tv that had a VCR attached and we watched movies on it all the time.
Bookstores were another thing on the list, which I now feel guilty about because of my "new love."  I just love a bookstore, especially ones that have Starbucks in them. :)
One thing on the list that I found surprising was watches.  I mean who doesn't love a cute watch?!  This sounds crazy to me but they cited a source from a college that said most incoming freshmen had never worn a wristwatch or knew how to write in cursive.  Which by the way I saw on the news that some states are removing teaching cursive writing from the curriculum starting next year, and instead will spend that time working on computer skills.  Interesting...I'm not sure how I feel about this, but honestly it's probably for the best, besides my signature I never use cursive.

Maps are also on the list.  Which I can say I'm not too upset about.  Reading maps and especially folding them have never been my forte.  I'll stick to the GPS on my phone thankyouverymuch.  :)
Dial-up internet will be something that Caden and Mason will never have to experience.  Lucky them.  I remember in high school when AIM came out my mom was always yelling at me to get off so she could use the phone.  Speaking of AIM, trib024 was my username... the 024 was my birthday, 4-20, backwards...I didn't want people to think I was a pot head and "trib" because I thought it spelled Brit backwards and once I realized it didn't it was too late to change it because I already had my friend list.  Ah, the good 'ol days. :)
CD's were on the list, but I think I must be behind the times on this one because I still have cd's and Caden has cd's that he likes to listen to.  Also, I don't have and never have had an I-pod.  I will never forget the first cd's I owned I got for Christmas.  My parents got me a huge boom box and a subscription to one of those CD clubs where you got 10 free CD's and then you had to buy several through out the year.  The only CD I remember from that collection was Boyz II Men. :) 
And the one I'm probably most upset about is that movie stores will be no more.  I mean honestly I'm suprised that there are still any around, with Netflix and Red Box who needs a movie store, but I used to love going to the movie store and getting to pick out something to watch.  I remember when I was little every time we got to go pick out a movie I would choose "Troop Beverly Hills".  In fact, Jason knew this and last Christmas he found me a DVD of Troop Beverly Hills.  I was so excited! HA!
I'm sure there are many more things that my kids won't know about and when I mention them they will look at me like I'm crazy and I will realize just how old I am getting.  Can't wait! HA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment